Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Couple Crushes

Finally, after a year of being married, I am developing couple crushes.
Let me explain:
When you are single, it is so much easier to make friends.

Why?

Because you (one person) only has to click with one other person.
1 friend + 1 friend = friends.

See? Easy.

But when you get married... You have to find someone you like, then meet their spouse and like them. Then your spouse has to meet them and like both of them. And each of them has to like each of you and....

Well, you can see how making friends becomes exponentially more difficult.

So, I have spent the last year feeling pretty socially awkward- thinking to myself, "Ok, how in the world did I forget to make friends?" This is kindergarten stuff. But kindergartners don't have spouses, so....

Anyway, back to my new term - "couple crushes."

Why do I call it this? Well, let's first take a trip down memory lane.

I am single. I meet a boy. I think this boy is nice and cute. I want to get to know this boy better. I think we could hit it off.

I am crushin'.

Then I start thinking of ways that I could hang out with this boy more, without seeming too desperate of course. So I invite him to "game night" or "movie night" or treat night" or "some lamely themed night" at my apartment.

Later, boy calls me for a date. AH! I already have plans. But I really want to go out with boy. And I surely don't want him to think that I am making up some silly excuse not to go out with him. Because I am not! So I try to phrase what I say very carefully to ensure that he will try again another time.... soon.

And these are just some of the crazy things you do when you have a boy crush.

Back to couple crushes.

Now that I am married (to my ultimate boy crush I might add), I find myself doing the same crazy things when I meet other couples that I like.

Making up lame excuses like...

or...

And then, let's just say one of my couple crushes calls my hubby and I to do something. And--AH! We already have plans! But I really like this couple and I don't want them to think that we are avoiding being couple friends with them. Because we're not! So I spout off the same old routine speech that I used to give when I was single...

So much for not trying to sound desperate, right?

I don't know, maybe this is just me.

Have you experienced the crazy effects of "couple crushes" too?

2 comments:

  1. Oh- the couple crush! The issue that doesn't end with age! (said by the old married lady) It is a challenge, but then finally making friends feels like such a triumph! And just wait until you add kids to the mix. I have one girl here, and I think she's a peach. (a PEACH, I tell you) but her little girl mauls my little boy. Without mercy! and She doesn't seem to notice like I notice, and so the friend issue begins again. So I hear you, Amanda, I hear you!
    Here's to crushes panning out, and to more spare cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, not alone cuz... My husband and I say we 'date' other couples or friends. Same process, sans the romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete